Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Vincent Chase Effect

I'm a fan of the show Entourage, which is based on the experiences of Mark Wahlberg. My favorite part of Entourage is when they show clips of what are supposed to be movies or shows starring the characters. They're brilliant satire of Hollywood conventions and are always good for a laugh. But now every Mark Wahlberg movie I wince at every hackneyed cliche, and for the latest Wahlberg vehicles are so completely average that they're built on cliches.

Last night I was watching Invincible, there was a completely unnecessary slow motion mud football scene, and I couldn't help but thinking of Vincent Chase running down the pier in Aquaman for about a minute and a half. And in Shooter, without ruining anything for you I can say there are a few scenes with Wahlberg walking in slowmotion in front of something that just blew up, much like every scene from Medellin. He's got some interesting projects in development, however, including M. Night Shyamalan's next movie, an Italian Job sequel, and a Micky Ward biopic.

No comments: