Friday, July 27, 2007

Why is it that all NHL news is bad news?

I don't remember the last time I heard a positive NHL story. I do remember the last two dozen negative stories I've heard. The latest is that NHL 08 cover boy, Carolina Hurricanes center Eric Staal, along with his brother, 18 year old Pittsburgh Penguins center Jordan Staal, were arrested this past weekend when Eric's bachelor party got a little too rowdy. I suppose any publicity is good publicity for the dying NHL, but it's pretty rough when it's a bigger headline at Gamespot.com than ESPN.com. I mean that seriously: I noticed it on the front page of the leading video game site but it was completely buried on the leading sports site. And who the hells idea was it to release NHL 08 on 9/11? Still, after all the promise that NHL 07 showed (with the much safer choice of Alexander Ovechkin on the cover) I'm pretty excited about this year's offering.

No comments: