Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Art of the deal

I noticed on Slickdeals.net last night how some customers were able to finagle the NFL Network for free until the end of the year since it was placed on a more expensive tier of channels if they were previously paying for the channel and now would have to pay more, so I rehearsed what I was going to say and made the call.

Me: I used to get the NFL Network but now I don't since it was placed on a more expensive tier of channels. (I've never paid for the NFL Network on principle, I'm B.S.ing)

Comcast: Yes, as part of out sports entertainment package for $5 a month you can get the NFL Network, NBATV, [and seven other channels].

Me: But I understand there's some promotion where you can get the NFL Network for free. (Fingers crossed)

Comcast: Well, that promotion expired but there is one going on right now where you can pay $1.99 [total] for the NFL Network for a year.

Me: Does this lock you in for a year? (My lease expires soon and I'm not sure if I'll be there in two months) Or do you pay $2 a month for up to a year?

Comcast: No, you pay $1.99 and then you have the NFL Network for a year.

Me: (Tiger Woods fist pump) I'd like to sign up for that, please.

So I've finally got the NFL Network, where I can go to sleep to the dulcet tones of Adam Schefter. I order pizza like this as well if I don't have a coupon: I call the place and ask if they have a ludicrous offer, and they usually respond that I must be thinking of their best offer at that time.

No comments: