Thursday, October 11, 2007

It's not as bad as Barry Bonds, but...

Gilbert Arenas is by a Beamonesque margin my favorite NBA player, and by a similar margin my favorite celebrity blog, so it kills me a little to call him out on this. I'd like to let him slide, but now he's treading into my arena, so to speak. It's incredibly obvious that he's cheated his way to the rank of Colonel, Grade 1 in Halo 3. How can I tell? Because most of his matches are under five seconds (an average game lasts about 7 or 8 minutes). Apparently, he starts a 2-on-2 game against a friend, each with a dummy teammate. The dummies then quit, and Arenas racks up experience points. Arenas basically admitted this to The Washington Post. This plot was first uncovered in the Bungie.net forums, where they want him executed with extreme prejudice.

Still, I can't get that mad at him. I've certainly racked up some Achievement Points in a less than legitimate manner, and I've never shied away from using money plays in any sports game. It's his time and it's not as if he's using this "glitch" to get a contract as a professional Halo player, which is an important difference between what he's doing and BALCO customers. But now I'm a lot more hesitant to add "Agent Arenas" to my friends list.

No comments: